Posted on September 4th, 2019
More than 50 people gathered at St Theresa’s Community Centre on Friday for an evening of tacos, trivia and tremendous fun.
The evening was a huge success with $900 raised for School Savvy – an initiative giving Central Queensland families, with school-aged children, the best possible chance to start the school year well.
CentacareCQ School Savvy project coordinator Anna Morris and assistant Danielle Mitchell said attendees enjoyed the ‘modern take’ on the trivia questions and were enthralled in the competitive game of coin-toss held during intermission.
Danielle explained: “The coin toss was definitely a highlight of the night. Participants would donate a gold coin by tossing it towards prizes, located at the end of the room. The closest coin to the prizes won.
Danielle said the money raised would go towards purchasing stationery for the pop-up shops held in the Rockhampton, Capricorn Coast and Bundaberg regions in January 2020.
“We are overwhelmed by money raised from the trivia night. For those who are interested in helping our cause, it’s not too late to contribute,” she said.
“We’d love for the community to get involved by donating school uniforms directly to CentacareCQ (at any of our Rockhampton, Yeppoon or Bundaberg offices), as well as any monetary or stationery contributions people are able to make.”
“We have our pack-a-pencil case initiative back again this year, so if people aren’t able to help on the uniform front, donating a packed pencil case is always an option.”
Danielle said there were also options for businesses to jump on board for sponsorship and donations.
- Donating any preloved school uniforms to one of the School Savvy drop off zones.
- CentacareCQ Rockhampton – 16 Bolsover Street, Rockhampton
- CentacareCQ Yeppoon – 5/15 James Street, Yeppoon
- CentacareCQ Bundaberg – 79 Woongarra Street, Bundaberg
- Packing a pencil case with basic school supplies that are commonly found on primary or secondary school stationary lists. Then, donate that pencil case to us so as we can provide it to a student in need.